I decided to use an old dresser that we originally got from my husbands parents back when we moved into our first apartment. This is a child's dresser, our kitchen is not so big so it works well in our space.
I always forget to take pictures at the very beginning of my projects. So, if you can imagine this dresser originally had 4 drawers. We left the top one in, took the bottom three out and created two shelves. The shelves will ultimately be covered with doors that my Dad is making for me.
We added a sanded plywood backing to the back for the dresser to give it more durability. After I painted it, the plywood did not look that great. We decided to take off the plywood and replace it with 1/2" MDF from Home Depot to get a really smooth surface that would more closely match the dressers wood.
I finished painting the base of the dresser, this took about 2 coats of semi-gloss paint.
I hope to have the rest of the transformation and the finished project ready to post in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned...