This past Valentine's Day I was searching Pinterest for a fun activity to do with my daughter. In the past we have cut out paper hearts, made Valentine's garlands, etc... So, this year I was looking for a relatively easy cooking project for us to do together. I kept seeing images of strawberries covered in chocolate in the shape of hearts, super cute.
I read one of the recipes, it seemed pretty easy and went to the grocery store to pick up the supplies, chocolate and strawberries pretty inexpensive as well.
1. I washed and cut the tops of the strawberries, so far so good.
2. I cut the strawberries in half and held them together with a toothpick making them look heartish. This part takes a little more finesse then I realized.
3. Now it was time to melt the chocolate, having not bought nearly enough to cover both sides of the strawberries, I made a clutch decision to only cover the tops.
4. Okay, all the heartish shapes are together ready for chocolate.
5. This part my daughter had fun helping me with. The chocolate was pretty hard to spread evenly over the strawberries, it hardened really fast. I was glad to have the parchment paper underneath the rack, that was a big help during clean up.
6. They are all covered. Cannot really say they look like heart though they do look yummy.
8. In the end they really did not resemble hearts, but they tasted good. Another mistake I made was pushing the toothpicks in to far, I could not get all of them out after the chocolate hardened.